17 Jan 7 Tips to Help You Organize Your Home
7 Tips to Help You Organize Your Home
It’s a new year and a fantastic opportunity to finally get your home organized and clutter free. It doesn’t have to be a daunting task! Here are 7 tips to help you organize your home.
- Storage Bins: before you run out to your favorite store to purchase all those cute storage bins, it is important that you take a few minutes to research what you actual need. The goal is to declutter, not make unnecessary purchases that you won’t end up using. Measure your space, evaluate what can go into storage, and what needs to be tossed out.
- Get Prepared Before You Take the Plunge: serious decluttering and organizing takes time, and a plan. Jumping in with the hope that you will tackle it all in one day might lead to frustration and confusion. Take a few minutes with a pad of paper and a pen and create a realistic plan. Write down exactly what needs to be gone through, identify items to donate or recycle, and estimate how much time it might really take to get the job done from start to finish.
- Have Supplies on Hand: while you are out and about purchasing those storage bins, it is a good idea to pick up the cleaning supplies you will need. This will save time in the long run once you dig into your organizing projects!
- The Right Time: one of the biggest challenges in tackling a home project is finding the time to do it. Life is busy! But waiting for a big chunk of time to magically appear on a Saturday afternoon is not a good strategy. A better idea and use of the time you do have, is to pick small projects and tackle them one at a time. Strive for progress, not perfection!
- Organizing Vs. Rearranging: taking a stack of papers and making them look neat and tidy is not the same as taking the time to go through the paperwork, toss out what needs to be, shred or file away those items that need to be saved. If you receive monthly subscriptions, it might be a good idea to get into the habit of tossing out the old copy when the new one arrives.
- You Can’t Organize Unless You Purge: yes, unfortunately it is true – you can’t get organized unless you purge! We all love our stuff, but be honest with yourself about how much you really need it. If you haven’t used an item in months or years, it might be time to let it go.
- Don’t Go At It Alone! Decluttering, purging and organize is a big job for just one person. Plus sometimes we need a little extra support when making decisions on what to keep and what to purge. Have a friend or a family member help you – plus you will enjoy the company!
If you are considering a home renovation in the New Year, or would like to learn more about home improvement options, please give us a call. Let our family provide your family the home you’ve always dreamed of in the New Year!
Please feel free to visit us online at www.KnippContracting.com and look at our online portfolio. Our experienced team members are standing by, ready to assist you with your home renovation project. We look forward to hearing from you soon!